Open Setup Challenge: Sowing Temptation

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Forum rules
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: She

Open Setup Challenge: Sowing Temptation

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed May 05, 2021 11:12 am

Post by Isis »

This is a design contest, similar to the monthlies.

There will be a couple differences from the monthlies:

- You can submit any number of setups
- there's no explicit deadline and instead I'll cut off submissions for voting at an arbitrary point (when submissions have slowed probably)
- you can only vote your favorite two setups. I think people get fatigue from even having the option to do more.
-I'll capriciously break some ties

The hope is to generate a good enough setup that it can be featured. I won't guarantee that the democratic winner gets featured but I will guarantee a strong correlation between ranking and getting featured. It should be reflective of interest in the setup.

And, for the parameters of this challenge..

Design a cult setup

-The setup must have a faction that can have multiple nontown players alive simultaneously, no other antitown factions, and the capability to convert town players to that faction.
- The cult can have kills, but it may be easier to balance of they don't.
- Game must be guaranteed to reach day 3 without a cult win
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #4 (isolation #1) » Wed May 05, 2021 6:08 pm

Post by Isis »

The most recent one popular one was a semiopen, and constraints breed creativity. Perhaps that is so directly linked to design space that it doesn't trigger the "constraints breed creativity" paradigm, though. Did you want to design a semiopen here?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Wed May 05, 2021 6:23 pm

Post by Isis »

It's deleted. I do want at least one constraint besides cult, but there's still the day 3 constraint
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Fri May 07, 2021 3:24 pm

Post by Isis »

Minority Report: Agatha's new family

2 N1 Bulletproof Precogs (cult)
11 N1 Bulletproof Citizens (VT)

Every player has a fully random other player who is their Grudge. This information is told to the citizen day 4 and to the precogs day 0.

Twilight one, the precogs tell two citizens who their Grudge is that they are destined to try to kill N1. The citizen then sends in a Free Will choice.
Government Tracker Removal Surgery
- The destined kill is not cancelled, but the citizen gains Night One Strong.
Learn Forgiveness
- Join the precogs along with your Grudge. You must treestump a gamestart precog.
Expose the System
- Convert to the precogs' alignment instead of killing your target. It is publicly revealed that someone who is now aligned with the precogs was assigned to kill your Grudge.

Certain combinations generate special effects as follows:
Double GTRS: The precogs gain a permanent factional nightkill.
Double Learn Forgiveness: The citizens' grudges are adjusted to be eachother before the ability is resolved.
Double Expose the System: The precog faction becomes lovers.
Learn Forgiveness Expose the System: Instead of receiving forgiveness, the grudge dies. Instead of exposing the system, the other citizen dies (but does become aligned with the precogs).

The precogs win at parity, citzens win when all precogs are dead or stumped.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Wed May 19, 2021 6:00 am

Post by Isis »

I came here expecting to post as much!

Please vote for your favorite two setups, preferably indicating which of the two you prefer. Please don't vote your own.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #23 (isolation #5) » Mon May 24, 2021 3:07 am

Post by Isis »

4 isn't a shameful number of ballots but a lot of these setups excite and intrigue me so I sent out a "please vote" broadcast PM so I expect at least one more ballot hopefully more from that
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #25 (isolation #6) » Mon May 24, 2021 3:50 am

Post by Isis »

No I intended fast town wins to be allowed
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #29 (isolation #7) » Mon May 24, 2021 8:07 am

Post by Isis »

Votes can keep coming in.
I'm gonna add a setup on or before june1
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
She
Best in Class
Isis
She
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #33 (isolation #8) » Mon May 31, 2021 2:48 pm

Post by Isis »

The following four received a nonneglible number of votes:

Cultmark - 2/0
Divide and Cultquer - 1/2
Skin Dancer - 3/2
Deputy Cultists - 1/3

Skin dancer isn't particularly appropriate as a featured setup, because featured setups are encouraged for use by first time moderators. I'm also unenthusiastic about a game that doesn't become mafia until day 2.
Deputy cultists has an interesting design and seems appropriate for the queue. At first glance, it seems as though its Named Townie mechanics would break the setup, but after a recruit occurs, an un CC'ed named townie is no longer cleared. It may need some balance tweaks in one direction or another, but looks good enough for a first run.

Congratulations to Kerset! Deputy Cultists will become a featured setup. Kerset can make a wiki page if ke would like (watch the word "lynch"), or instead I can take on the work of making the wiki page.
"Well, I..."