Application of WOTC

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Forum rules
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #84 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 81, Hoopla wrote:what acronym is it if i don't want to play with myself?
R, for Retirement

The best solution is for the mod to have good enough of a handle on the player base that they can say "no" to players so everyone else doesn't have to.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #87 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:09 am

Post by Vi »

In post 85, Ranmaru wrote:We are all adults here.
I don't think this is true, and I'm not talking about how many scummers have reached the age of majority.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #89 (isolation #2) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:19 am

Post by Vi »

In post 88, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 87, Vi wrote:
I don't think this is true, and I'm not talking about how many scummers have reached the age of majority.
Ooooh Buuuurn! XD
I keep wanting to pun this into "Elbirn" but can't figure out how.

But seriously, imagine what would happen if you were excited to play some game, but then some arse like me drew my long pointy nose to bear down on you and pointed an accusatory finger, loudly proclaiming that YOU SUCK on a substantial societal level. You would probably get remarkably pissed off and start a war of words that no one else wants to deal with. At least if I were saying this as the game's mod, I'd have some authority to do something about it (in not letting you play the game), whereas if I were some random other player I would have no power over you that could stop you from saying "then get your own game and leave me alone".

That's why I think it's best for the players to privately take their grievances to the mod and let them decide.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #94 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 91, Frozen Angel wrote:
In post 89, Vi wrote:
In post 88, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 87, Vi wrote:
Ooooh Buuuurn! XD
I keep wanting to pun this into "Elbirn" but can't figure out how.

But seriously, imagine what would happen if you were excited to play some game, but then some arse like me drew my long pointy nose to bear down on you and pointed an accusatory finger, loudly proclaiming that YOU SUCK on a substantial societal level. You would probably get remarkably pissed off and start a war of words that no one else wants to deal with. At least if I were saying this as the game's mod, I'd have some authority to do something about it (in not letting you play the game), whereas if I were some random other player I would have no power over you that could stop you from saying "then get your own game and leave me alone".

That's why I think it's best for the players to privately take their grievances to the mod and let them decide.
I won't ever play with that mod and player list ever again cause I count that secrecy a direct insult to me and my wit.
And since that's what the mod and (at least some part of) the player list wanted to start with, everyone walks away with the situation resolved as well as can be.

More to the point, I was actually advocating for the offended player to privately take it up with the mod and let the mod decide whether to unilaterally bar the offending player or tell the offended player to deal with it. This way it's not an anonymous player who has the grievance so much as a moderator who previously had no information, makes their own decision, communicates their own decision, can enforce their own decision, gets to embrace any blowback from that decision, and may choose to reconsider that decision - all of this at least partly in public if they decide to bar someone. Please read strangers' posts more carefully before assuming what they say and taking gratuitous umbrage.

@Kuroi: I'm pretty sure Ranmaru meant "we're all mature, rational people here", and I interpreted it that way. That statement is patently untrue.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #98 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Post by Vi »

And that's why I want to push it to a single person who has the final say.

MOD: I'm rejecting this entry.
PLAYER: baaaaaaaaaaw why
MOD: Because <embarrassing links>
PLAYER: baaaaaaaaaaw not fair
MOD: Yet I'm the mod. Sorry or something.

Also IME most people who dislike someone enough to blacklist them have either told this to them previously or seen multiple people they respect tell this to them. Post 95 is correct in practice.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #107 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:48 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 106, Ranmaru wrote:Mod: Ok ScummyMcscummersan, we have determined that you have been WOTC'd for reason A, X, and 3"
ScummyMcscummersan: Ok fine. D: <

See how easy that was? It's public, on one wants to act like a brat in public. I guess people are sensitive everywhere, even my own fraternity brothers, but I call out anyone and I don't care. I'll be direct. You can't solve problems being quiet and 'not talking'. Communication is key, and transparency.
Don't even call it WOTC because it's imprecise and the term has baggage attached. Instead, explicitly say why you're cutting them out.

"Denied. You flaked from your last three games. The next game you flake from won't be mine."