Vanilla Townie

Binatog13 -
Vanilla Townie

hops -
Town Doctor

DaTacoX -
Mafia Goon

Events:

Last edited by midwaybear on Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 30 times in total.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 am

Post by midwaybear »

Rules

Credit to everyone who helped formulate this ruleset

General Rules/Game Etiquette
  1. Obey all Site-wide Rules.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private communication of any kind. This includes moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
Activity/Prods/Replacements
  1. Prods of missing players will be issued after 36 hours of no activity.
  2. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  3. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 36 hours please PM Cabd and I or post in the thread to declare V/LA.
Deadlines
  1. Deadlines for this game will be 10 days for Day 1 and 7 days for following Day Phases. Night Phases will last 48 hours.
  2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to the mods by the posted deadline. If the mods do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
Player Actions/Voting/Player Death
  1. Starting day 1, if at any point during the day more than half of the living players are voting for a particular player, day will end and that player will be eliminated.
  2. A majority(half plus one) must occur for an elimination to occur
  3. Votes must be bolded or use the [.vote] tags to be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    or VOTE: Player).
  4. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  5. Votes made using nicknames or abbreviations will be counted at our discretion. If we think its a vote, then its a vote.
Miscellaneous
  1. I will use
    bolded font
    for Mod posts. Don't impersonate the mods. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to our discretion and will be handled as we see fit on a case-by-case basis.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:02 am

Post by midwaybear »

Setup Info

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Sample Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 am

Post by midwaybear »

Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:35 am

Post by midwaybear »

All Role PMs are out. We will begin when 8 out of 9 have confirmed.
Currently at 8/9.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 am

Post by midwaybear »

Vote count 1.00

It is Day 1!
With 9 votes, it takes 5 to eliminate. Day 1 ends in (expired on 2021-10-23 07:35:00).

VC
Not Voting [9]:
DaTacoX, Greeting, Binatog13, hops, kennyk, MegAzumarill, Jake The Wolfie, Not_Mafia, catboi

Mod Notes
  • GLHF
  • Jake the Wolfie has (expired on 2021-10-14 17:00:00) to confirm before I begin searching for a replacement.
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:38 am

Post by hops »

Oh, nice. I was afraid the game would begin while I was sleeping, but it turns out I get to be the quickest draw in the west.

Hi everyone. Have some not-so-random questions:

- If you're a newbie, how many games of Mafia and mafia-likes have you played prior to this?
- Either newbie or SE, How would you rate your experience level?
- How would you describe your playstyle as as Scum, or how you would anticipate yourself playing as scum if this was your first game?
- For people who has actually played scum before, by eyeballing or actually counting, how often would you say you win as scum? What do you think are the common elements in games where you win as scum?
- What's your timezone and what's your anticipated schedule for checking in on this game?

For me:
- I've played a couple forum mafia and much more party Mafia.
- I haven't played forum mafia since forever and I was basically a toddler back then with no coherent thoughts so it doesn't count. Party mafia is certainly different because I tend to just be messing around there and causing chaos rather than actually trying to win. So, basically this is my first real game of forum mafia and I'm armed with nothing but the wiki and reading other games.
- As scum, I was certainly passive. In forum mafia I remember relying on advice from my more experienced counterpart on what positions to take as scum during the day. In future forum mafia where I get scum I'd try to be more active in "scumhunting" though, because that sounds more fun than just sitting around hoping I don't get wagoned. Plus I notice Town tends to be less mad OOCly if it was scum who ruined their ELo rather than an honest town mistake.
- I'd say I win half the games I play as scum in party mafia, usually because my teammate is a good liar or town is dumb more than anything on my part, though. In forum mafia I get eliminated pretty quick usually due to my own idiocy or really bad luck so I'd say my scum winrate out of the small sample size is zero.
- I live in UTC+7 and I'd be checking in around 8AM and 5PM at the minimum each day. Don't expect me to be awake around 10PM-6AM. I'm a busy person, but my time management is better than most, so I expect to be one of the more active players. Unfortunately it seems to me that I'm unlikely to be awake at day start and day end.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:50 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

S
U
P
C
L
O
D
P
O
L
E
S
I
'
M
T
H
E
J
E
S
T
E
R
A
N
D
I
'
M
H
E
R
E
T
O
T
R
O
L
L
T
H
E
F
E
C
A
L
M
A
T
T
E
R
O
U
T
O
F
T
H
I
S
G
A
M
E
!

VOTE: Not_Mafia
Also, what is Not_Mafia doing? This is some of the worst play I’ve ever seen.
I will SEARCH for games with you and N_M to help you policy him.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:51 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

RQS is anti-town
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:54 am

Post by hops »

VOTE: Not_Mafia

I'm new to the meta of Mafiascum, could you explain why RQS is anti-town?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:58 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

It's a disruption to the natural flow of the game and does nothing to catch scum
Binatog13
Binatog13
Goon
Binatog13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:01 am

Post by Binatog13 »

In post 6, hops wrote:Oh, nice. I was afraid the game would begin while I was sleeping, but it turns out I get to be the quickest draw in the west.

Hi everyone. Have some not-so-random questions:

- If you're a newbie, how many games of Mafia and mafia-likes have you played prior to this?
- Either newbie or SE, How would you rate your experience level?
- How would you describe your playstyle as as Scum, or how you would anticipate yourself playing as scum if this was your first game?
- For people who has actually played scum before, by eyeballing or actually counting, how often would you say you win as scum? What do you think are the common elements in games where you win as scum?
- What's your timezone and what's your anticipated schedule for checking in on this game?

For me:
- I've played a couple forum mafia and much more party Mafia.
- I haven't played forum mafia since forever and I was basically a toddler back then with no coherent thoughts so it doesn't count. Party mafia is certainly different because I tend to just be messing around there and causing chaos rather than actually trying to win. So, basically this is my first real game of forum mafia and I'm armed with nothing but the wiki and reading other games.
- As scum, I was certainly passive. In forum mafia I remember relying on advice from my more experienced counterpart on what positions to take as scum during the day. In future forum mafia where I get scum I'd try to be more active in "scumhunting" though, because that sounds more fun than just sitting around hoping I don't get wagoned. Plus I notice Town tends to be less mad OOCly if it was scum who ruined their ELo rather than an honest town mistake.
- I'd say I win half the games I play as scum in party mafia, usually because my teammate is a good liar or town is dumb more than anything on my part, though. In forum mafia I get eliminated pretty quick usually due to my own idiocy or really bad luck so I'd say my scum winrate out of the small sample size is zero.
- I live in UTC+7 and I'd be checking in around 8AM and 5PM at the minimum each day. Don't expect me to be awake around 10PM-6AM. I'm a busy person, but my time management is better than most, so I expect to be one of the more active players. Unfortunately it seems to me that I'm unlikely to be awake at day start and day end.

1. I play Werewolf Online (Wolvesville) many times, but only few mafia games (party games). Expect me to be passive in gameplay, whenever I am town or scum. I also play The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow on Board Game Arena (online platform). Not really a mafia player. No experience on Town of Salem video game.
2. Experience Level? I would say rookie, but not totally newbie. Not a pro either. On this forum, I played few games, but its a while ago (like months ago) since I've played mafia on this forum.
3. Timezone. My timezone is UTC+8 / GMT+8. As I have said, I have a low activity in this game as I am taking online classes, with some responsibilities at home.
4. Gameplay as scum. I don't really know, sometimes aggressive, sometimes passive, depending on my teammate. Not very good on scum reading as town either. Winrate as mafia at this forum is 0%. Either got eliminated early or be framed late game. I don't know how to win as scum actually.
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:05 am

Post by hops »

@NM: I see. Well, anyone is free to not answer if they have other content to contribute to the opening of the game. I'll avoid useless fluff once we're onto something productive. I'd say that your reaction is at least giving me some vague read, so I'd disagree on it doing nothing to catch scum.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: No Preference

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:27 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

VOTE: Greeting

As either alignment I'm usually on the quiet side. I'd say my experience level is on the newer side to this site, but I have been playing mafia-type games for a long time
I honestly don't know how to describe my scum game, because it goes drastically different on different site, and I have has ~4 scum games on this site and 3 of them were concurrent and I had to replace out for IRL reasons.
Imperfection is the spice of life.
Binatog13
Binatog13
Goon
Binatog13
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 am

Post by Binatog13 »

For me, RQS and/or RVS is fine for me early stages of the game, to keep the players engaging. It is a nice way to know who and how players play. Its like an appetizer given before the main meal.

VOTE: NM for being a known player on this site and their Jester info.
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:48 am

Post by hops »

Have some half-serious hot take reads before I get ready for bed.

Jake The Wolfie: This is a long shot... but I think this slot leans either scum or power role because Jake is an SE so it doesn't make sense for Jake to just not be around and checking PM, especially with how active the person's post history seems to be. My theory is that Jake's just not enthusiastic about getting a role with responsibilities. Or Jake's just busy IRL. But even if Jake is busy and is in the process of getting a replacement then I feel like that suggests Jake's role is something more involved than previously predicted by that person. Also, referring to people without using pronouns is hard.
Binatog13: Lean very, very, very slightly town based on my gut instinct.
Not_Mafia: Lean very, very, very slightly town because he has posted early. From what I've seen of NM's post history he loves to shitpost and mess around, so his early behavior here isn't abnormal. If he was scum, I feel his playstyle would be pretty bad for him though, so I'm keeping an eye on him to see if he makes any slips. Also, seems to be a bit overeager to teach as SE which makes me feel like he's genuinely pro-town.
MegAzumarill: Lean slightly scum based on my gut instinct.
DaTacoX: Hasn't posted yet.
Greeting: Hasn't posted yet.
catboi: Hasn't posted yet.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:54 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

The game started 2 hours ago
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 am

Post by hops »

The PMs were sent out for longer than that if you were referring to my theory on Jake. But with the other people not posting? Yeah, I'm not saying there's anything scummy about not being awake or having checked the thread yet.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:00 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 15, hops wrote:Jake The Wolfie: This is a long shot... but I think this slot leans either scum or power role because Jake is an SE so it doesn't make sense for Jake to just not be around and checking PM, especially with how active the person's post history seems to be. My theory is that Jake's just not enthusiastic about getting a role with responsibilities. Or Jake's just busy IRL. But even if Jake is busy and is in the process of getting a replacement then I feel like that suggests Jake's role is something more involved than previously predicted by that person.
This is utter waffle
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 am

Post by hops »

MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
MegAzumarill
No Preference
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:44 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I mean you are trying to figure what someone is because...... they haven't seen anything about the game yet.

They obviously haven't received the role PM yet so why would anything they do before then pertain to their role?
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 am

Post by hops »

Jake's last visit to the forum was at Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:02 pm.
hops
hops
Townie
hops
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:55 am

Post by hops »

Ok, now that I think about it, that could just be Jake logging in, confirming the role, and midwaybear not being online to acknowledge it yet. We'll see.
Greeting
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Greeting
he/him; they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him; they/them

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:59 am

Post by Greeting »

Greetings!

Prepare to be spammed with popculture gifs!

VOTE: kennyk

kennyk
kennyk
Goon
kennyk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:50 am

Post by kennyk »

Hello to all and have fun.

Just before dawn betwen night 0 and day 1 I had a dream to vote the player with the longest name. So it is

VOTE: Jake The Wolfie