Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1275 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:35 am

Post by implosion »

I want to say that in the absence of catboi and SM being cleared my preferred lim order at the end would probably have been SM->frogs->panic. I really was going to panic a bit if I was forced to decide between any subset of Val/catboi/igor by the end.

Some observations about the people in this game that were sort of hard-towntreadable: I think it's somewhat telling that Greeting was complaining about not being townread for the selfhammering proposition in the dead thread in that me and catboi were the two people basically uninterested in touching a Greeting wagon at that point, and I think both of us were saying it was because of the selfhammering thing. I think this is the kind of thing that you need experience in forum mafia to recognize as what it is: a play that just has more negative utility for scum than positive utility, basically end of story. I felt similarly about a lot of Val's play. These kinds of things won't be as reliable outside of newbie games (especially if a player has meta of doing that kind of thing as scum before) but in general, the argument is even stronger in newbie games precisely because something like threatening a selfhammer is something that newer players might be less likely to recognize as townish; this in turn lowers its utility for scum even further, because in a newbie game they're unlikely to get much town cred for it.

For Val his resolute willingness to die for a Greeting lim, followed by his resolute willingness to die for a catboi lim, was similarly just way too negative-utility for scum. I think one thing that new scum can have trouble with (and that I've been bad at historically) is "changing your mind" in a way that looks convincing; e.g. this is one reason that catboi looked town because his reads were so fluid despite being so strong (going from tunneling me to tunneling val to not feeling good about anything). Val was sort of the opposite, in that the way in which he was not changing his mind looked very town because new scum in that situation will typically feel like they need to come up with some out for when catboi or Greeting ultimately flips town.

For catboi it was an extremely complicated story in terms of
my
reasons for my read changing. I saw igor's fake guilty and I was like hell yeah and then I started biking to campus being all happy with myself for blocking the scum who made the kill, and knowing we'd have an extra inno, and... yeah that didn't turn out that way. Like catboi said, the amount of effort that they put in while at death's door and the way they kept trying to work with people (in particular we worked together very well this game after we stopped tunneling each other), and the way their reads were in so much flux, it was all just way too much effort for what I knew had to be a goon to be putting in (I didn't realize that catboi had to be a goon if scum for a bit, that realization happened in tandem with my read on them softening).

For igor iirc I had him as like, not locktown but really, really town before the claim. But it sort of is another case of, why the everloving heck would you do this as scum. The whole faking a pseudoguilty and then changing the story twice thing, while not good play as town, is buck-wild play as scum. Scum do not want to be that conspicuous, full stop.

I think all of this adds up to the second half of why this game is likely to be hard for scum (the first half being night play).
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1276 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:54 am

Post by Micc »

If you enjoyed this game, you'll probably enjoy another!

Players are welcome to continue playing in the Newbie Queue for as long as they like. If you'd like to branch out into something a little different, try one of these other queues:

The Open Queue has games that all have a known, or partially known setup.
The Micro Queue has a large variety of games that are all for 9 players or less.
The Normal Queue is a great introduction to closed, but generally straightforward setups.
The Mini Theme Queue specializes in games with strong flavor or unique mechanics.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1277 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:55 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

My problem with the scum utility argument is that it’s factoring out a lot of outside factors to it. For one thing the argument doesn’t bring is that either way it still can come from either alignment. Plus to me that ignores the issue of repeating it over and over sounding exactly like what I’d do as scum to bluff (and I’ve done that a lot before coming to this website, though in different ways). I know it has very little scum utility, but I don’t think it really should be AI though.
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1278 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:14 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

I get that Self Voting is a very Newbie town, but I just feel like that is exactly what (maybe not correct) gives it some level of utility that I'm probably paranoid about.
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1279 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:21 am

Post by MafMen »

In post 1257, Greeting wrote:Then when I actually did what I said I would he was like oh, shit and pulled out from the game.
bro i literally had barely any internet access for like 5 days what do you want from me
of course i gotta replace out :'(

anyways ggs, im absolutely god awful with nightplay as mafia so i ended up messing up alot but i had fun
it was a really fun game and a good hosting job as always micc
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
frogsfrogs
frogsfrogs
Goon
frogsfrogs
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1280 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:27 am

Post by frogsfrogs »

Yes thanks, Micc!!
MafMen
MafMen
Mafia Scum
MafMen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1281 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:29 am

Post by MafMen »

bit peeved about the replacement speculation being that i got scared shitless at my so called 'doomed slot' so i ran but whatever thats just my own nonsense pride about my scum game
greeting your wagon barely implicated me man lol
"I find myself agreeing with MafMen through most of this argument, while also finding him most likely to be scum out of him/Wisdom/Pooky"
~ Klick
StrangeMatter
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
StrangeMatter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1282 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:32 am

Post by StrangeMatter »

I feel like I didn't do nearly enough this game and the only remotely redeeming part of it was
only
the NK bait.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1283 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1247, catboi wrote:
In post 1237, igorsprite wrote:@catboi anything to say about my incredible read skill? u.u
Yeah you've done good
In post 1239, frogsfrogs wrote:Ah. I understand if I'm the lim today. Can't help but be worried that I can't tell if it's Igor or Val though. D: Good damn game to whichever one of you it is.
I hadn't thought about scum purposely no killing, so I had super thought no death today meant Val was it, especially since Igor's correctly getting a no night action result on me now. But I guess it could be either.
No worries, this is one of those rare cases where the game is an automatic win for town because of mechanics, so you don't need to worry about it.

If you're town (and I'm guessing you are right now), you've played a fine game.
Lolme

Well I guess the game wouldn't be complete without me faceplanting one last time.

frogs you struck me as gut-level scummy for a lot of the game, but I had difficulty putting it into words properly, and when pushed you fought back hard and wound up looking
more
town as a result where I think a lot of newer players crumble under pressure. Things didn't work out for you because of night actions but for a first time playing I think it was a strong game.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1284 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:03 pm

Post by catboi »

I thought I had things to say but my brain is empty, which usually happens. Tough game for me. I don't handle pressure well and getting wagoned off a reaction test sent me into panic mode. I wound up making arguments for the sake of making them rather than because I was truly convinced of them, which is never ever a good thing to do. I do't know, like I said I think never giving up is a good lesson but...there's a lot I could have done better.
catboi
catboi
Jack of All Trades
catboi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1285 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Post by catboi »

In post 1282, StrangeMatter wrote:I feel like I didn't do nearly enough this game and the only remotely redeeming part of it was
only
the NK bait.
Sometimes it's enough just to be along for the ride and stay alive even if you don't contribute that much in terms of reads. Not everyone gets to be the hero every game.
RH9
RH9
He
Mafia Scum
RH9
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1286 (ISO) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Post by RH9 »

Well done everybody. I was the spectator. MafMen/Andante and frogfrogs, you did a great job. I admit that I thought that catboi was scum for no real reason. I would have felt betrayed if catboi was. To be fair, implosion was my top scumread until the Jailkeeper claim. Sorry, implosion and catboi. Also, luck must be with you, igorsprite. And Val89, I did find you quite likely to become a NK target, which never happened. Also, Greeting, your self-hammer happened not be too disastrous. StrangeMatter, to be fair, I never had a proper read on you. Thanks, Micc for letting me spectate.

By the way, catboi, did you know that I used to be on EM too?

Hiatus from playing Mafia (Excluding Hydrae)
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1287 (ISO) » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:50 am

Post by PenguinPower »

<(") | (")>