mini 2126: the game is OVRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal Games (With basic roles and standard mechanics) Signups Here
Forum rules
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3375 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3370, Auro wrote:Right. Is Boon one of those forever null types to you?
i wouldn't policy nullread him but i imagine that i might be hard pressed to come to townreading him (i bet that i could come to scumreading him far easier, though. i spectated a scumgame of his early on in my career—mini normal 1969—where he got away with a gambit i could not believe, which made quite the impression. after that i told myself that i would never be fooled like the people in that game were)
In post 3373, Auro wrote:See? Not doing it once as scum before doesn't mean you wouldn't now.
this has never been my argument.
In post 3374, Auro wrote:
In post 3367, northsidegal wrote:i have people who i think i have good reasons to townread and then people who i feel no reason to townread.
Interesting - how many times has this specific situation occured where you only have town and nulls, without scumreads, D2?
i have no idea and i honestly doubt the relevance.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3376 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:00 pm

Post by northsidegal »

and just so you know – every scumgame of mine i would prefer to prove my ability, because every scumgame of mine inevitably ends up with someone calling me scum for disappearing. this goal is nothing new, and there is—as much as i wish this were
not
the case—no "effort" switch i can flip in my head to suddenly become much more adept at something simply because i theoretically would want it more.

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3377 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3375, northsidegal wrote:i have no idea and i honestly doubt the relevance
You don't see the relevance?
On a surface level, if there are instances of this happening from town!NSG in the past, I don't need to think about whether this behaviour is really AI.

What's irrelevant about asking what lies outside my expectation from you something that's happened in the past?
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3378 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Post by Auro »

If your disappearance and eventual lynch is the #1 reason you get lynched as scum easily for I'd expect you to work on that first. Heightened focus on achieving this goal doesn't mean it was never a goal, it just means increased push to overcome inertia
Eddie Cane
Eddie Cane
Jack of All Trades
Eddie Cane
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3379 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:03 pm

Post by Eddie Cane »

In post 3372, northsidegal wrote:basically play characters and try different playstyles
neat! I am almost always acting during games as well, though probably with different reasons.
"Ima need to buy at least Josh a fucking tarot card reading because this dude is scary at picking up on scum before they even post what the fuck type of Ms. Cleo ass psychic ass mothafucka did yall allow to sign up for this site"
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3380 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3377, Auro wrote:
In post 3375, northsidegal wrote:i have no idea and i honestly doubt the relevance
You don't see the relevance?
On a surface level, if there are instances of this happening from town!NSG in the past, I don't need to think about whether this behaviour is really AI.

What's irrelevant about asking what lies outside my expectation from you something that's happened in the past?
i think there are so many variables at play that using the specific makeup of my reads on a specific day as a test for alignment is a fairly poor predictor. the playerlist and the number of players alive immediately come to mind as huge confounding variables.

also, as katyusha said and as i've come to agree with, the best meta reads are personality based rather than strictly content based. that's not to say that content-based reads are bad or never useful, but i've certainly been burned in the past by trying to fit various random predictors that i've come up with to someone's alignment.

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3381 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3375, northsidegal wrote:i wouldn't policy nullread him but i imagine that i might be hard pressed to come to townreading him (i bet that i could come to scumreading him far easier, though. i spectated a scumgame of his early on in my career—mini normal 1969—where he got away with a gambit i could not believe, which made quite the impression. after that i told myself that i would never be fooled like the people in that game were)
Thanks, although that question was to Smortypants :P
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3382 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3380, northsidegal wrote:i think there are so many variables at play that using the specific makeup of my reads on a specific day as a test for alignment is a fairly poor predictor. the playerlist and the number of players alive immediately come to mind as huge confounding variables.
I recognize there are many variables and I hence precluded my reasoning with "on a surface level".

Confounding variables can exist but I can make an individual evaluation on a single variable and just weigh it accordingly anyway, no?
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3383 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Post by northsidegal »

you could do that, if you wanted. if you did all i have to say to you is "good luck". so, to go back to your original question – i have absolutely no idea if i've ever found myself on D2 with only townreads.

things fall apart
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3384 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 3381, Auro wrote:Thanks, although that question was to Smortypants :P
What question? ?
Shame on a martyr claiming friends
From either perspective of &
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3385 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Post by Auro »

I never said you're scum if you haven't done it in the past, just that you're at worst null if there was an instance (purely from that variable). Hm.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3386 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:15 pm

Post by Auro »

Yup.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3387 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:18 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3385, Auro wrote:I never said you're scum if you haven't done it in the past, just that you're at worst null if there was an instance (purely from that variable). Hm.
i never said that you said that.

something did come to mind, though – off the top of my head i can't point you to an instance where day two i didn't have a scumread as town, but i'm certain that i couldn't point you to an instance where on day two i didn't have a scumread as scum.

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3388 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 pm

Post by Auro »

Your dismissive attitude towards my asking that question implies you think it's a theoretically bad way to scumhunt, I'm showing the specific validity of such knowledge

Yes, I can agree with the latter, that squares with my expected behavior from you
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3389 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Boon isn't forever null. I've read him correctly numerous times, usually as scum because he has a propensity to roll scum when he's playing with me :3

However it usually takes me a few days to get a bead on him and usually my read ends up being mechanics and trajectory-based, which naturally requires flips. So I don't have anything hard yet, but there are red flags.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3390 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3388, Auro wrote:Your dismissive attitude towards my asking that question implies you think it's a theoretically bad way to scumhunt, I'm showing the specific validity of such knowledge

Yes, I can agree with the latter, that squares with my expected behavior from you
i'm not trying to be dismissive, i'm sorry. i do genuinely think that that is not a very accurate way to scumhunt, and that's because i used to (and still do sometimes) try to do it all the time, and it backfired on me fairly consistently.

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3391 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Post by Auro »

If you'd be able to read him as the game progresses, but he's null right now, why consider lynching him at all? Can you list the red flags?

I'm a little surprised NSG isn't townreading me though, to be honest.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3392 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Post by northsidegal »

why do you expect me to townread you?

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3393 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3390, northsidegal wrote:i'm not trying to be dismissive, i'm sorry. i do genuinely think that that is not a very accurate way to scumhunt, and that's because i used to (and still do sometimes) try to do it all the time, and it backfired on me fairly consistently.
I would agree with you if I used that meta to push you, however my use of that particular meta I think is accurate in its specific applicability. Anyway, yeah this is theory disagreement so.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3394 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:26 pm

I'm generally fine with lynching nullreads especially since I townread half the game.

The fact that he claimed the same role as RCE is a red flag, as is his insistence that Dany is town for basically no reason.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3395 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3394, Something_Smart wrote:The fact that he claimed the same role as RCE is a red flag,
as is his insistence that Dany is town for basically no reason
i've also been thinking a bit about this.

things fall apart
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3396 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:28 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3392, northsidegal wrote:why do you expect me to townread you?
I'm town and I feel like I've been transparent with my thoughts, plus I've been an active poster. And IIRC you used to form a read on me before even after misreading me previously. I'm prolly not reliable enough myself to form a perceived third-person pov judgment about my own play, but I'm still a little surprised.
Auro
Auro
Survivor
Auro
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3397 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Post by Auro »

In post 3394, Something_Smart wrote:I'm generally fine with lynching nullreads especially since I townread half the game.

The fact that he claimed the same role as RCE is a red flag, as is his insistence that Dany is town for basically no reason.
I wouldn't support a null lynch if I had a guaranteed cop result on the slot on a later day, and this seems like a weaker version of that :P

Can you list
all
red flags?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3398 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:35 pm

I don't remember them all. But I did mention his attitude on me talking about a rolecop was pretty bad.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3399 (ISO) » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 pm

What is the guaranteed cop result? If scum have a doctor they have no reason to kill him.