Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:19 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 108, Billy Pilgrim wrote:@Karnage - could you explain how my opening vote on Jones was oppprtunistic? And what makes you think it was a retroactive attempt to justify the vote?
When you joined the game there was a lot going on around LCpl Jones. Whether other people were voting him or not, scum could see it as an opportunity to get a vote in toward a potential mislynch. Everything you've used as evidence for scum!LCpl is something thats already been said. I get its only a couple pages in so there's bound to be some overlap like that but it just feels off to me. I don't know.

normally I wouldn't have voted yet but I was hoping I could use it to engage some of the less active players and give them something they could talk about as way to start participating.
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:23 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 114, Billy Pilgrim wrote:I'd rather hope he gets back into prod range then hopefully we can replace him almost immediately. I'd rather not lynch a slot that's literally 2/9 of being scum. I'd rather lynch someone that's playing scummy.

Honestly the players pushing a policy lynch this early into D1 are raising my suspicions. I want at least one legitimate lynch, preferably with a couple of wagons leading up to it, before we lynch the deliberately provocative slot.
I don't think anybody is pushing it too hard, I think people are just expressing their frustrations with Gyro's refusal to contribute to the game

I agree though that now is not the time for a policy lynch
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 118, Billy Pilgrim wrote:@Karnage - I'm getting the sense that you have the wrong impression of my read on Jones. How strong do you think my read was at the time I placed the vote? Because you're describing my case as lacking so I'm wondering what you were expecting for a page 4 case.
your case is lacking anything that's alignment indicative, at least in my opinion.

your original vote was, IIRC, because he was the most active but not moving the game forward. Does that make him more likely to be scum on page 2 than anybody else? I don't think it does. I would expect that your read wasn't very strong at all (assuming town!Billy) and that goes back to your vote being opportunistic (assuming scum!Billy).
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:41 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 122, bepwei wrote:
In post 120, Gyro Zeppeli wrote:what is a policy lynch
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Policy_Lynch

This website is good for those kind of questions should you have more.
please don't feed the trolls
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 104, Karnage wrote:
In post 103, BBmolla wrote:
In post 100, LCpl Jones wrote:Billy and Arkias I'm fairly confident of being town just at face level their reasoning is clear and makes sense. I think scum is in Micc / BBmolla / other 'quiet' players. I'm mostly confused about Karnage!
At one level I like his posts but he's just, I don't know, it doesn't sit right with me and fair to say I don't trust him that he's town.
this is like the scummiest post in this whole game

I'm town, Micc town, Karnage town, Salsae town, Arkias town,

scum is in (Gyro/Bep/Jones/Billy)
Where does the Salsae town read come from?
This post sounds genuinely town to me:
In post 90, Salsae wrote:I'm sorry that I haven't been posting anything useful at all. All the games I've played on a different site have been very different to this one and I'm still trying to get used to everything.
I'm gonna try to be more productive, I just am not sure how to start.
In post 116, Billy Pilgrim wrote:@BB - why do you think Jones' 100 is so scummy. Is it mostly the part you bolded? If so, can you explain, because I dont see what's so scummy about it.
it sounds extremely fake to me, like that's something I'd post as scum trying to sound like hem hawing town.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am

Post by Micc »

In post 97, Arkias wrote:Am I supposed to quote things I want to talk about or just link the post number?
those are both equally acceptable options. Keep in mind that a long string of quotes can take up a lot of space making
Spoiler:
very useful.
In post 98, Arkias wrote:Since I can't edit a post, excuse this triple post.

The only reason I'm not voting Gyro is because I'm convinced he's a vanilla townie just by the fact he doesn't care.
Can you explain why Gyro is more likely to be a townie who doesn't care than a Mafia player who doesn't care? Isn't not caring something that Gryo can do regardless of alignment?
In post 99, LCpl Jones wrote:I find it exceedingly scummy that he is trying to posture himself as a town leader that merits being sheeped (which I took from: "they are following in the footsteps of a read they believe in that came from a player they believe is town", given the obvious inference that its acceptable that BBMola sheep him because he is town. At the moment it's all I got and I'm going with it for a vote.
Ok, but why am I more likely to be a Mafia player who wants to be sheeped than a townie who wants to be sheeped? Isn't being a leader that people are confident enough to sheep good for me regardless of my alignment?
In post 105, bepwei wrote:
In post 49, Micc wrote: From a theory standpoint, I see making an RVS vote as unproductive for town. Scum hunting has to begin eventually and a productive member of the town will eagerly make it happen as early as possible.
IMO, RVS can be used to push someone to get them to squirm. It only really works if they don’t know it’s rvs. The goal of mafia isn’t really to find the scum it’s more to find people you can trust such that it’s impossible for mafia to win.
I think that if you're voting someone to make them squirm, that's no longer RVS right? Like, you saw something from someone that you decided to push to see what kind of reaction came from it. That's not randomly voting, that's beginning the process of scumhunting, which is a productive thing to do.
In post 119, Billy Pilgrim wrote:Throwing this out there now - I'm not voting Zepp on D1. I'll reconsider if necessary D2, but im not voting there D1. So let's play mafia and stop letting scum hide out by arguing for a policy lynch.
do you not remember nearly policy lynching pine in 1953 for actively deciding not to participate only for him to flip scum the next day? like scum can hide in the do nothing slot being policy lynched just as easily as they can hide in the group advocating for a policy lynch.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Billy Pilgrim
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

I'm coming around on Jones. I think Karnage is probably town (the explanations add strength to that), even more likely town if Jones is. The thing holding me up on Jones is that I dont understand why he voted BBM. And I'm not asking for an explanation, because he gave one already. But after how he clarified some things later, the original explanation didnt make sense anymore.

@Karnage - you think being unable to explain your vote isnt AI? Particularly when you're the second person to place a vote?

At the moment, I dont want to lynch in Karnage, Micc, or Jones.
Not interested in BBM today, and I'm not policy lynching Zepp on D1.

That leaves Arkias, bep, and Salsae. Bep seems like they're trying at the moment. Salsae we gave you some thoughts on how to get started, but haven't heard from you in 24 hours. I'd like some pressure on that slot, but for me, Arkias is more interesting. I think his explanation of the vote on me was pretty vague, and when pressed, he didnt clarify.

VOTE: Arkias

Pedit : @Micc - yes I remember that. But I'd rather have D1 wagon information that we can use going into D2 before making a decision on policy lynching him. And when we lynched that slot D2 it wasn't a policy lynch anymore.
Arkias
Arkias
Goon
Arkias
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Post by Arkias »

In regards to , I posted at Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 am, and yours was at Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 pm. It wasn't 'I didn't press and didn't clarify' as much as "I haven't been on, and had no chance to respond." It hasn't even been an honest 24 hours, and I had work in the morning. Your push is incredibly odd, and just furthers my opinion.

Anyways, to respond to various points.

Regarding , my paragraph about your was about the fact people rely on reading how others act in previous games a lot to make a 'lean' about someone being scum or not. I didn't say you wasted a vote or not, I was mostly commenting on the idea that people try to make trends out of past games rather than focus the current game --

and with that, I can answer both and Mic's . I believe he's just a vt and not mafia because of the general 'tone' of the play. In Town of Salem or Throne of Lies, 'vanilla' roles that aren't aligned tend to act completely disinterested, since, in their minds, they have no power over the course of the game. Why do they need to pay attention? Someone else will/would, or an investigator will point a finger and cause a lead. This is inherently different than a mafia laying low, since of the flippant disregard. Whereas someone playing as a mafia member is just trying to stay under the radar, a VT generally doesn't _care_ about the radar. They're innocent, in their mind, and their play has no impact on the game as it goes. It's the sense of agency, and my reading of Gyro's post, while it's clear he doesn't want to pay attention/play, seems to be more akin to someone who just doesn't care/feels like they've no way to make an impact into the game.

That's why I read him as vanilla townie, and just not worth wasting a lynch on. I've seen games fall apart where people voted off the non-contributer person, but at the same time, any amount of information is good.

Also, now that I've read it fully --

From my post you never asked for clarification. In fact, no one did, outside of why I think he (Gyro) is vanilla and not worth wasting a lynch on.

I do feel like you're scum now though, at least in the sense of pushing. Then again, you might just be town too and are trying to see how I react.

I honestly don't have a read of anyone proper, my incliniation is that you (Billy) are either trying hard on this, or just trying to get someone lynched that isn't an acceptable target. So my vote on you stands.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Post by Micc »

Akkias, do you think it's acceptable for a Vanilla Townie to have the completely disinterested mindset that you describe of Gyro? That is, would you consider that kind of play as good and helpful to achieving their win condition, or bad and not helpful towards achieving their win condition?

I'm going to assume your answer is that Gyro's play is not 'good' for a vanilla townie, or at least I hope it is. That leads me back to asking the same question I did earlier but with different phrasing: Gyro is playing badly and not helping his team achieve its win condition. Why do you think its more likely that he's doing this as town? Aren't scum just as capable of deciding they don't care about the game enough to try and play well?
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Post by Micc »

I should add that openly speculating on players being vanilla or having a power role is regarded as bad play. Hitting power roles with the nightkill is a big positive swing for the scum team, so there's generally a conscious effort made to not give away information that could help scum decide who is vanilla and who has a power. Extra input only helps inform their nightkill choice.
Arkias
Arkias
Goon
Arkias
Goon
Goon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Post by Arkias »

To answer your question, I always figure it's best to ask another question: If someone on your team is playing badly, does removing them make your team more likely to win? Town's advantage is the number game for awhile, as possible people who have which roles are wittled down. I think he's not playing good for a vanilla townie. And I actually answered that already on the 'why more likely as town than scum'. As a vanilla townie, you don't generally feel like you've agency. No matter what you do, it's not going to make an impact. Which is why it's inherently different than someone who's mafia. They're aware of the information and their goal is to be hidden, not disregarding. While you're right that scum are capable of deciding they dont care about the game, it's _far more likely_ that it's a townie play. Nothing in this game is about absolutes, as much as it's about what's likely.

Regarding I disagree. Openly speculating on someone being vanilla or not does not give any more information to the mafia than they'd already have.

The game state at the start begins with each townie knowing only one thing -- out of 9 people, only they are innocent. Mafia know that 2/9 people are mafia. Speculating if someone is vanilla in public doesn't change the way the mafia works in that regard, they already know the most important part of the person you're thinking about -- they're not mafia.

Saying X is vanilla only leads to 4 outcomes.

You're right, and the mafia don't kill him -- You've a townie still.
You're right, and the mafia kill him -- A vanilla is dead. Still bad, but not the worst.
You're wrong, and the mafia kill him -- Not likely since if we're working on the assumption that mafia want to ginore the vanilla to hit 'power roles' this one would, by your own reasoning, show up the least (since a players input says their vanilla and by inference, the mafia has accepted that).
You're wrong, and the mafia don't kill him -- You might have confused a power with a vanilla, but the mafia are buying it.

Out of the 4 options (though really, 3 -- since the 'wrong and mafia kill him goes against the premise') 2 of them are in town favour. So you either have something that's useful 50% of the time, or realistically, 66% of the time.

Of course, this flips when you speculate about someone being a power role. I agree with you on the openly speculating power roles.

If anything, making more ideas on about who is and isn't town narrows the pool. Regardless of who dies tonight, from both lynch and kill, the game state will change. If the mafia ignore Gyro since they're aiming for a power role, they've still a 2/6 instead of a 2/7 chance of hitting right. But our possible pool of people we know that aren't mafia increase by 1, from the 1/9 at night 1, to (assuming lynch and kill) 4/9 on day 2. And a 1/5 shot is a lot cleaner than 1/6.
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

'd say the argument for voting Zrpp today is not to waste a vote later. I don't think anyone wants to vote him over a scum read but even if he's town it will have a positive benefit in a lylo situation as

I very much get the feeling that the scum team is backing off on me.
FOS Billy and FOS Micc.

I'm not quite so happy with my vote on Micc right now.
UNVOTE:

Now there's options.
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

Just fwiw I'm not suggesting that those two are the scum team as in together, but I see certain things that might indicate they are scum.
LCpl Jones
LCpl Jones
Goon
LCpl Jones
Goon
Goon
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Post by LCpl Jones »

In post 131, Billy Pilgrim wrote: At the moment, I dont want to lynch in Karnage, Micc, or Jones.
Not interested in BBM today, and I'm not policy lynching Zepp on D1.

That leaves Arkias, bep, and Salsae. Bep seems like they're trying at the moment. Salsae we gave you some thoughts on how to get started, but haven't heard from you in 24 hours. I'd like some pressure on that slot, but for me, Arkias is more interesting. I think his explanation of the vote on me was pretty vague, and when pressed, he didnt clarify.
I don't like this push at all. Salsae I'd agree with based on lack of content but Arkias? He hasn't had a chance to respond so pushing him for that makes little sense. Just going by timezones all his posts have been roughly the same time of day. I see clear reasoning which I can follow in his posts.

I'm going to place my vote on Salsae for now.
VOTE: Salsas
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Post by Micc »

Arkias, you still haven’t done a good job explaining why Town are far more likely to decide they don’t care enough to try and play well than scum. Who is signing up for this game with the feeling they won’t have agency over the game as a Vanilla Townie? More than half the players roll VT. A player who decides they don’t want to try is playing badly regardless of their alignment. It’s not something that’s alignment indicative.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:13 pm

Post by Micc »

Salsas is not the lack of content wagon to be joining. There’s already two of us on Gyro. Why not join the fun?
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:39 am

Post by Karnage »

In post 136, LCpl Jones wrote: I very much get the feeling that the scum team is backing off on me.
FOS Billy and FOS Micc.

UNVOTE:
umm... aren't these two statements contradictory?
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Billy Pilgrim
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:56 am

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

In post 132, Arkias wrote:In regards to , I posted at Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:38 am, and yours was at Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 pm. It wasn't 'I didn't press and didn't clarify' as much as "I haven't been on, and had no chance to respond." It hasn't even been an honest 24 hours, and I had work in the morning. Your push is incredibly odd, and just furthers my opinion.

Anyways, to respond to various points.

Regarding , my paragraph about your was about the fact people rely on reading how others act in previous games a lot to make a 'lean' about someone being scum or not. I didn't say you wasted a vote or not, I was mostly commenting on the idea that people try to make trends out of past games rather than focus the current game --

and with that, I can answer both and Mic's . I believe he's just a vt and not mafia because of the general 'tone' of the play. In Town of Salem or Throne of Lies, 'vanilla' roles that aren't aligned tend to act completely disinterested, since, in their minds, they have no power over the course of the game. Why do they need to pay attention? Someone else will/would, or an investigator will point a finger and cause a lead. This is inherently different than a mafia laying low, since of the flippant disregard. Whereas someone playing as a mafia member is just trying to stay under the radar, a VT generally doesn't _care_ about the radar. They're innocent, in their mind, and their play has no impact on the game as it goes. It's the sense of agency, and my reading of Gyro's post, while it's clear he doesn't want to pay attention/play, seems to be more akin to someone who just doesn't care/feels like they've no way to make an impact into the game.

That's why I read him as vanilla townie, and just not worth wasting a lynch on. I've seen games fall apart where people voted off the non-contributer person, but at the same time, any amount of information is good.

Also, now that I've read it fully --

From my post you never asked for clarification. In fact, no one did, outside of why I think he (Gyro) is vanilla and not worth wasting a lynch on.

I do feel like you're scum now though, at least in the sense of pushing. Then again, you might just be town too and are trying to see how I react.

I honestly don't have a read of anyone proper, my incliniation is that you (Billy) are either trying hard on this, or just trying to get someone lynched that isn't an acceptable target. So my vote on you stands.
@Arkias - I'm confused by your post again. You name me at the bottom, but a large part of your post was about , which wasnt me. That was Micc. The question I asked you to clarify your 97 was what I was misrepresenting. You mentioned that I was misrepresenting things in service of a push, but you haven't clarified that yet.
I think if you try and use names more often in these longer posts it will help clarity.
Billy Pilgrim
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:57 am

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

@Arkias - your complaint about me not giving you enough time to clarify was entirely fair. It wasnt even 24 hours. I was just alot more active yesterday so it felt longer.
Billy Pilgrim
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Billy Pilgrim
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:06 am

Post by Billy Pilgrim »

In post 136, LCpl Jones wrote:'d say the argument for voting Zrpp today is not to waste a vote later. I don't think anyone wants to vote him over a scum read but even if he's town it will have a positive benefit in a lylo situation as

I very much get the feeling that the scum team is backing off on me.
FOS Billy and FOS Micc.

UNVOTE:

Now there's options.
Can you explain this please? I'm the only one that had voted you. You were town reading me while I was voting you and scumleaning you. Then I interact with you more and get some questions answered in a logical way. I only have one outstanding confusion around you and it's from why you voted BBM. How does that progression get you to a FoS?
Karnage
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Karnage
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:49 am

Post by Karnage »

UNVOTE:

I'm pretty good with Billy being town atm with Micc and BBMolla
GTKAS - Karnage
Indefinite V/LA
Gyro Zeppeli
Gyro Zeppeli
Goon
Gyro Zeppeli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:53 am

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

Let's try a hand at 'reading' Micc seems super aggressive, espeiclaly towards me, could be an aggressive pro townie or a scum trying to push me out the game and then using me as a policy lynch to cover up.
Karnage seems helpful and reasonable altho I cba to check back at his past messages.
Arklas I would say is my strongest town read because they type too much for someone who would be scummy, and their arguments and views are pretty fair.
Billy im neutral on as he could be a scum, just saying stuff like 'dont follow the policy lynch' and his posts haven't had much beef just repeating what people said and answering questions and fluff.

is this what I should be doing d1? seems pretty useless
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 am

Post by Micc »

It’s a start. What’s your preferred method of navigating Day 1 if you consider that kind of stuff useless?
Gyro Zeppeli
Gyro Zeppeli
Goon
Gyro Zeppeli
Goon
Goon

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am

Post by Gyro Zeppeli »

In post 147, Micc wrote:It’s a start. What’s your preferred method of navigating Day 1 if you consider that kind of stuff useless?
Nothing or random lynch. I play tos and TOL and stuff like mafia that has no prevalent d1
bepwei
bepwei
Goon
bepwei
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:17 am

Post by bepwei »

In post 132, Arkias wrote:I believe he's just a vt and not mafia because of the general 'tone' of the play. In Town of Salem or Throne of Lies, 'vanilla' roles that aren't aligned tend to act completely disinterested, since, in their minds, they have no power over the course of the game. Why do they need to pay attention? Someone else will/would, or an investigator will point a finger and cause a lead. This is inherently different than a mafia laying low, since of the flippant disregard. Whereas someone playing as a mafia member is just trying to stay under the radar, a VT generally doesn't _care_ about the radar. They're innocent, in their mind, and their play has no impact on the game as it goes.
I disagree. Maybe in ToS where there are so many roles, a VT really just has to not look the scummiest. This game has a large pool of VT's and without them, it is unlikely for the town to get a win. At least for me, it is more rewarding to get leads as a VT. I find his play as a lack of experience playing mafia. Whether that's on this site or on others. You know the culture is very different on this site, you're new to this too. In addition the 'wait for an investigator to point a finger' hurts town as we want that role to be protected (until later in the game). It's a bad play and that is the whole point of a policy lynch. I am in no way advocating for it because I, myself, am against the policy lynch this early in D1, but the whole point is to get someone out of the game who may hurt the town later. A VT's job is to look as much like town as possible. It's to allow power roles to gain information on the suspicious ones while building a group of people they can trust. If all the VT's find each other by not seeming innocent, that said group could win without the need for power roles. The issue is the mafia are trying to fit in with that group.
In post 135, Arkias wrote: To answer your question, I always figure it's best to ask another question: If someone on your team is playing badly, does removing them make your team more likely to win? Town's advantage is the number game for awhile, as possible people who have which roles are wittled down. I think he's not playing good for a vanilla townie.
This is the question to ask when making a policy lynch. Personally since we brought up the idea of a policy lynch, he has not been 'hurting' the town per se. The issue arises if we think he may end up voting erratically later in the game. Anyway, I think that is a question for D2 once we have more information of the night kill and what flips from the lynch.